Click Here to Go Back to the

Families & Individuals page.

CALIFORNIA health insurance 

Call for free support

Northern CA     707-480-4850

Southern CA     707-480-4850

Statewide          707-480-4850

For more information about Covered CA we encourage you

to visit


Top Questions Trending Now

Here are valuable answers to the top trending questions people have about their insurance company,

or family health insurance plans and individual health insurance plans from Covered California.


My health insurance company does not have a record of me as a member. What can I do?

Health insurance companies are processing many new applications, so it may take them longer than usual to enroll you. It may take up to two weeks after you submit your application for the health insurance company to send you a bill. It may take up to 10 days for the company to send you a welcome packet and insurance card after receiving your payment. These delays are the result of very high demand right now. If you have applied and paid and still haven't heard from your health insurance plan 10 days after you made your first payment, please call the Covered California Service Center. A representative can escalate your concerns and resolve them.

I sent copies of documents to Covered California. What happens now?

If we request a document — for example, a copy of a birth certificate or pay stub — you have 90 days to provide it. You can upload the document(s) to your online account, send us a copy via fax at (888) 329-3700 or mail it to:

        Covered California
        P.O. Box 989725
        West Sacramento, CA 95798-9725

If you need more than 90 days, or if you do not have the document we asked for, please call the Service Center at (800) 300-1506. You are still enrolled in your health insurance plan while we wait for your document. You will get your first bill from your new insurance company, and your coverage will begin once you pay your premium. When we process your document, it will appear in your online account. If there is a problem with your document, we will contact you by mail or telephone to fix it.

What should I do if my legal permanent resident card was issued so long ago that it does not contain an expiration date, or it has too many digits to enter on the Covered California website?

If your immigration document does not have an expiration date, or it does not match the online application, you may use the following temporary values:

Card Number:  ZZZ9999999999
Expiration Date:  12/31/9999

If you use these codes, you will need to upload your document to your account, or you will receive a letter in the mail telling you to send us a copy of your card or document.

What can I do if I forgot my password?

You can reset your password by clicking "Account Login" and then clicking the "Forgot Your Password?" link. Enter your user name. After you correctly answer your security questions, you will be able to enter a new password. If you do not remember the answers to your security questions, it is best to leave them unanswered and call the Service Center at
(800) 300-1506. A Service Center representative can help reset your password.


If you answer the security questions incorrectly, your account will be blocked. A Service Center representative can help you, but unblocking an account takes longer than resetting a password and could take a day or two to fix.


You will receive an email when your password has been reset, and then you will be able to log in again.

What can I do if I forgot my user name?

A Service Center representative can help you reset your user name, but it will take a day or two to fix. Unfortunately, a representative cannot reset it immediately. You will receive an email when your user name has been reset, and then you will be able to log in again.

How do I change information in my application or account?

By clicking on the "Report a Change" button after signing in via the "Account Login" you can change your income, update your address, and notify Covered California if you have become eligible for other health insurance, such as such as insurance offered by your employer.

However, if you need to change your name, date of birth, or Social Security number (or those of other members on the application), please call the Covered California Service Center at (800) 300-1506 and a representative can change that information in your account. 


When will I get my first bill?

Your new health insurance company will send you a bill about two weeks after they receive your application. The payment due date will be printed on the bill. Please send your payment to your health insurance company before the deadline. If you pay your bill by mail, be sure you send it in time for the insurance company to receive your payment by the payment date printed on the bill. Your health insurance company also may accept payment through the phone or online, which would be faster than mailing your payment. Contact your health insurance company or visit the "How to Pay" page for more information about payment options.

When will I get my health insurance card?

Your health plan welcome packet and health insurance card will arrive approximately 10 days after your health insurance plan receives your payment.

I want to keep my doctor. How do I know which health insurance company to pick to keep my doctor?

You can find a list of doctors for each health insurance company by clicking on the “Apply Now” button at and selecting “Preview Plans.” After entering some basic information, you can pick a health insurance company and click “View Directory.” Next you will be routed to the health insurance company’s online list of doctors. You can also contact the health insurance company directly to find out if your doctor is in the health plan’s network.

I applied for Medi-Cal but have not received any information from the county. What should I do?

You can read more about Medi-Cal and applying for coverage through Covered California at:

Medi-Cal has received many new applications, and proof of certain information is often required in order to complete each application. The California Department of Health Care Services gave temporary Medi-Cal coverage to many people who applied in December while their information was processed. If you have a specific question about your application, contact the Medi-Cal office in your county.

Why have I received several letters, or “notices,” from Covered California?

The first notice you receive from Covered California will tell you if you qualify for premium assistance, or if you were referred to Medi-Cal. The notice also tells you what to do next. For example, if you were referred to Medi-Cal, the notice will tell you to expect to hear from your county Medi-Cal office. If you qualify for premium assistance through Covered California, the notice reminds you that you must pick a plan and make a payment in order for your coverage to start.

You may receive a second notice from Covered California for one of the following:

     A reminder to pick your health plan.
     A reminder to make your first payment to your health insurance plan.
     A confirmation of payment and enrollment that tells you to expect a welcome packet from your health insurance plan.

A request to send documents, such as birth certificates, pay stubs and permanent resident cards, to Covered    California. These documents can be scanned and uploaded to your online account. Copies may also be sent by mail. Never send original documents; only send copies.

We know that some consumers got notices that were obviously wrong, with technical mistakes and missing information. Covered California sent those consumers new, corrected notices.

I enrolled in a Covered California health insurance plan, but it was canceled, and I was given a new account number. What happened?

We apologize for this error. Covered California is working with its health insurance plan partners to fix your account. You do not need to do anything. If you have more than one account, the accounts will be combined, and you will receive a new welcome packet in the mail. If you submitted your application and paid your premium by the deadline, you can begin using your health coverage now.

What is the status of my application or manual verification?

For instructions on checking the status of your application.

Covered California has received a large number of verification documents. There may be wait times as we process these documents. If you need to know your status sooner, please contact Covered California at (800) 300-1506. If you need to see a doctor before you get your health insurance card, see our page on “How do I use my coverage?”

How do I pay my premium?

Individual or Families

If you get a bill from your health insurance company, please follow the instructions on the bill for making a payment.

If you haven’t received a bill, you should contact your selected health insurance plan or make your first payment using the specific information listed below for each health insurance plan.

How do I pay my premium?

Pediatric dental plans have separate invoices and accounts. 

You need to pay your pediatric dental premiums directly to the dental insurance plan.

How do I pay my premium?

individual or family plans have separate invoices and accounts. 

Payment for individual or family plans must be paid directly to the health insurance plan.

How do I pay my premium?

Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP)

For employers who choose to enroll their employees in one of the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) plans, payments must be made to Covered California. The SHOP mailing address is listed below.